Page 37 - Guardian Hospice Care
P. 37

 Fire Safety
→ Have a functional smoke alarm and fire extinguisher and know how to use them.
→ Install and maintain smoke detectors and fire extinguishers in the home, test
regularly, and replace dead batteries if necessary.
→ Plan and practice fire escape routes. Have a meeting place where you would go in case of fire.
→ Keep portable and space heaters at least 36 inches from paper, curtains, furniture, clothing, bedding, or anything else that can burn. Never leave heaters on when you leave the house or go to bed.
→ If your clothes catch fire, don’t run. Stop where you are, drop to the ground, and roll over and over to smother the flames. Cover your face with your hands to protect your face and lungs.
→ Crawl low under smoke. If you get caught in smoke, the cleanest air will be several inches off the floor. Get down on your hands and knees and crawl to the nearest safe exit.
→ Maintain a smoke-free environment when oxygen is in the home.
→ Do not use certain products and appliances near oxygen, including:
• Oil, lubricants, or anything greasy (such as Vaseline) on your mouth, nose, or lower part of your face.
• Anything flammable such as aerosols, alcohol containing sprays, hair spray, or cleaning sprays.
• Small electric appliances such as electric blankets, electric razors, heating pads, or space heaters.
• Store oxygen away at least 3 meters away from open flames (gas ranges, candles or fireplaces) and 1.5m from other heat sources.
• Turn oxygen off when not in use.
  Safety First!
Never smoke while using oxygen.
35
 www.guardianhospicecare.com
















































































   35   36   37   38   39