Page 38 - Guardian Hospice Care
P. 38

 Oxygen Safety at Home
Oxygen treatment can be helpful if you have breathing problems. Use the amount ordered by your doctor as too much or too little oxygen may be harmful. Do
NOT change the amount of oxygen you are using without first checking with your doctor. Talk to your doctor if you feel that you are not getting enough oxygen.
Safety Precautions
Oxygen itself does not burn. Oxygen can feed a spark and cause it to become a large fire in seconds. To be safe at home, follow these fire safety guidelines:
→ Do NOT smoke or allow anyone to smoke in the room where oxygen is being used. E-cigarettes, matches, and lighters should not be used in the room either.
→ Avoid open flames. Do NOT use oxygen within 10 feet of open flames, such as fireplaces, wood-burning stoves and gas stoves.
→ Use caution when using electrical equipment. Do NOT use equipment with frayed cords or electrical shorts. They could cause a spark.
• Use battery powered razors and hair dryers when using oxygen.
• Hair dryers should be used on a cool setting only.
• If you must use an electric razor or hair dryer, be sure to use it at least 5 to 10 feet away from the oxygen.
• Do NOT use an appliance with a control box, such as a heating pad. Control boxes may throw sparks.
→ Avoid static electricity.
• Avoid nylon or woolen clothing that is more likely to cause static electricity.
• Use a humidifier in winter to add moisture to dry air in your home.
→ Store and handle oxygen properly. Store liquid and cylinder oxygen away from heat and direct sunlight. Secure cylinders with chain as arranged by your home care therapist. Place cylinders in a secure holder in an upright position.
→ Never apply any oily substance, such as petroleum based lip products, Vaseline, Blistex or Chapstick, to your nose, lips or the lower part of your face.
 36
 www.guardianhospicecare.com
















































































   36   37   38   39   40