Page 90 - Guardian Hospice Care
P. 90

 16) Correctionalinstitution.Shouldyoubeaninmateofacorrectionalinstitution,wemaydisclose to the institution or agents thereof health information necessary for your health and the health and safety of other individuals.
17) Law enforcement. We may disclose health information for law enforcement purposes as required by law or in response to a valid subpoena.
18) Reports. Federal law makes provision for your health information to be released to an appropriate health oversight-agency, public health authority or attorney, provided that a work force member or business associate believes in good faith that we have engaged in unlawful conduct or have otherwise violated professional or clinical standards and are potentially endangering one or more patients, workers or the public.
Your Health Information Rights
Although your health record is the physical property of the nursing agency, the information in your health record belongs to you. You have the following rights:
• You may request that we not use or disclose your health information for a particular reason related to treatment, payment, the agency’s general health care operations, and/or to a particular family member, other relative or close personal friend. We ask that such requests be made in writing on a form provided by our agency. “Although we will consider your requests with regard to the use of your health information, please be aware that we are under no obligation to accept it or to abide by it, unless it is a request to prohibit disclosures to your health care plan relating to a service for which you have already paid in full out of pocket. We will abide by your requests with regard to the disclosure of your clinical and personal records to anyone outside of the agency, except in an emergency, if you are being transferred to another Health care institution, or the disclosure is required by law.“ 42 C.F.R. § 483.10(e) provides that a Nursing Agency must abide by a resident’s right to refuse the release of his/her personal or clinical records to any individual outside of the agency, unless the release is necessary because the resident is being transferred to another health care institution, or it is required by law.
• If you are dissatisfied with the manner in which, or the location, where you are receiving communications from us that are related to your health information, you may request that we provide you with such information by alternative means or at alternative locations. Such a request must be made in writing, and submitted to the Administrator, the agency’s privacy officer. We will attempt to accommodate all reasonable requests. For more information about this right, see 45 C.F.R. § 164.522(b).
• You may request to inspect and/or obtain copies of health information about you, which will be provided to you in the time frames established by law. You may make such requests orally or in writing, however, in order to better respond to your request we ask that you make such requests in writing on our agency’s standard form. If you request to have copies made, we will charge you a reasonable fee. For more information about this right, see 45 C.F.R. § 164.524.
• If you believe that any health information in your record is incorrect or if you believe that important information is missing, you may request that we correct the existing information or add the missing information. Such requests must be made in writing, and must provide a reason to support the amendment. We ask that you use the form provided by our agency to make such requests. For a request form, please contact the Privacy Officer. For more information about this right, see 45 C.F.R. § 164.526.
Page 4 of 5

   88   89   90   91   92